This book is for instructors who think that most calculus textbooks are too long. In writing the book, James Stewart asked himself: What is essential for a calculus course for scientists and engineers?
Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 2E, offers a concise approach to teaching calculus that focuses on major concepts and supports those concepts with precise definitions, patient explanations and carefully graded problems. The book is only 900 pages—two-thirds the size of Stewart's other calculus texts and yet it contains almost all of the same topics. The author achieved this relative brevity primarily by condensing the exposition and by putting some of the features on the book's website. Despite the more compact size, the book has a modern flavour, covering technology and incorporating material to promote conceptual understanding, though not as prominently as in Stewart's other books. Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 2E, features the same attention to detail, eye for innovation and meticulous accuracy that have made Stewart's textbooks the best-selling calculus texts in the world.
• The text presents a concise approach to calculus for instructors who want to focus on essential principles and who feel no need for frills.
• Brevity is achieved through condensed exposition, fewer examples in some sections, fewer technology and conceptual problems and fewer appendixes. Problems Plus and Projects have been moved to the author's website
• Certain topics, for example, the treaent of the integral and the remainder term in Taylor Series, are presented in a manner that is more traditional than in Stewart's other books.
• This version of the text presents exponential, logarithmic and inverse trigonometric functions in Chapter Three. Those who wish to cover such functions later, with the logarithm defined as an integral, should consider the book entitled simply, Essential Calculus, 2e.
• Each chapter ends with a comprehensive review that includes a true/false quiz, Concept Check Questions and exercises for every topic covered in the chapter.
• Tools for Enriching Calculus—a free, online, interactive resource that allows Calculus students to work with animations that deepen their understanding by helping them visualize the concepts they are learning—has been updated with new problems and a new Flash design that is more visually appealing and engaging. Written and narrated by James Stewart, these assignable animations are also integrated into Cengage YouBook and many are available directly to students at website
• For the convenience of instructors who wish to cover additional material, the website contains: Review of Algebra, Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections; Additional Examples; Projects; Archived Problems (drill exercises from Stewart's other books) with solutions; Challenge Problems; Lies My Calculator and Computer Told Me and more.
• Additional topics (with exercises) available at www.stewartcalculus.com include Principles of Problem Solving, Strategy for Integration, Strategy for Testing Series, Fourier Series, Area of a Surface of Revolution, Linear Differential Equations, Second Order Linear Differential Equations, Nonhomogeneous Linear Equations, Applications of Second Order Differential Equations, Using Series to Solve Differential Equations, Complex Numbers and Rotation of Axes. Links to outside web resources and the History of Mathematics, with links to historical websites, are also available at the site.
• The book begins with four diagnostic tests in Basic Algebra, Analytic Geometry, Functions and Trigonometry. These tests address the gaps in many students'' prerequisite skills—and help them start the course with confidence—by giving them opportunities to get up to speed or brush up.
• Some material has been rewritten for greater clarity or for better motivation.
• Based on reviewers'' suggestions, a new section on surface area has been added to Chapter 7, "Applications of Integration."
• Updated data in examples and exercises assures that the book maintains its currency and relevance.
• More than 35 percent of the exercises are new, providing instructors with new assignment options and students with an abundance of practice opportunities.
• CourseMate includes Interactive eBook, Flashcards, Interactive Quiz and more.
|Number Of Pages||968|
|Publisher||Cengage India Private Limited|
|Studio||Cengage India Private Limited|